Theft by Misdemeanor Shoplift
Shoplifting in New York: New York Penal Law 155.25 & New York Penal Law 165.40
Barring a felony arrest for a shoplifting Grand Larceny in excess of $1,000, the crimes you will face for a shoplifting arrest in New York are Petit Larceny and Criminal Possession of Stolen Property in the Fifth Degree. Both Petit Larceny (New York Penal Law 155.25) and Criminal Possession of Stolen Property in the Fifth Degree (New York Penal Law 165.40) are "A" misdemeanor crimes. As your New York criminal attorney will no doubt explain, they are punishable by up to one year in jail. Beyond a criminal conviction and potential incarceration, however, there are countless ramifications to your career, licensing and immigration. These consequences can, and often do, linger years after an arrest. Sadly, many people assume because they received a Desk Appearance Ticket or the alleged theft was only a couple of hundred dollars, prosecutors and police won't really take the case seriously. After all, don't prosecutors in New York City have more serious cases? Simply put, if this was the situation, then you would not have been arrested in the first place.
If nothing else, it should be abundantly clear that retaining and consulting with an experienced New York criminal lawyer or New York shoplifting attorney can make the difference between a life altering arrest for either NY PL 155.25 or NY PL 165.40 and walking away from an embarrassing episode with your record and dignity intact.
- Misdemeanor Shoplifting & New York Penal Law 155.25
- Misdemeanor Shoplifting & New York Penal Law 165.40
- Felony Shoplifting & New York Penal Law 155.30 or 155.35
- Shoplifting Arrests & the Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal (ACD)
As criminal attorneys and former Manhattan prosecutors who have handled all levels of shoplifting arrests and cases, the two founding New York criminal lawyers at Crotty Saland PC are not merely equipped with the legal knowledge and the skill to defend our clients against allegations of NY PL 155.25 or NY PL 165.40. In fact, our attorneys also have practical experience in the courts of New York City (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx), Westchester and beyond. While we have obtained countless Adjournments in Contemplation of Dismissals (ACD) and have even successfully obtained outright dismissals for our clients throughout these courts, our attorneys unfortunately cannot guarantee your case result will be the same. Whether you are like one of the many professionals - doctors, lawyers, CPAs and teachers – we have represented or you have a completely different career path, what we do guarantee is the same level of diligence, professionalism and advocacy that was ultimately fruitful for past clients.
- Common Offers for First Time Arrest Shoplifting in New York City
- Desk Appearance Tickets & NY PL 155.25 or NY PL 165.40
- Ramifications to Shoplifting Arrests: Foreign Nationals & Immigration
- Ramifications to Shoplifting Arrests: Careers, Licenses & Certifications
If you are charged with Petit Larceny (NY PL 155.25) or Criminal Possession of Stolen Property in the Fourth Degree (NY PL 165.40) for shoplifting in New York, understanding New York shoplifting crimes and shoplifting laws is critical. Does it matter that you never left the store? Was your possession of the property “wholly inconsistent” with the ownership by management? Does it matter that you were not read your “rights?” What is the Trespass Notice and the forfeiture agreement that security demanded that you sign? Make no mistake. It is necessary to retain the right shoplifting lawyer or criminal attorney for you and your case.
To educate yourself on shoplifting laws and the crimes of Petit Larceny and Criminal Possession of Stolen Property, Desk Appearance Tickets or the arrest process, follow any of the highlighted links above. Additionally, our main website CrottySaland.Com as well as the NewYorkCriminalLawyerBlog.Com and the NewYorkTheftAndLarcenyLawyersBlog.Com all have an immense amount of relevant and detailed content on shoplifting and other crimes including analysis of statutes, legal decisions and cases in the news.
Call the New York Petit Larceny Lawyers at Crotty Saland PC at 212.312.7129 or Contact Us Online to Start Your Criminal Defense Now
- New York Second Degree Grand Larceny Arrest for more than $100K & Attempt for $275K Results in Misdemeanor and "Time Served" If being accused of a New York felony isn't scary enough, being arrested for a felony crime where your immigration status stands in the balance ....
- What? The New York City Police Arrested Me for Shoplifting and I never Left the Store??! How can that be?! It is fairly common for store security at Macy's, Bloomingdale's, Century 21 or any other New York City department store in Manhattan, Brooklyn or ....
- Fraudulent Accosting: Must You Initiate Contact with a Complainant for an NY PL 165.30 Arrest to be Valid Not necessarily the most serious of all theft and larceny related offenses in New York, Fraudulent Accosting is still a crime that not only can land ....